Save the stuff you care about with the new Norton Ghost. From photos and music to tax documents, Norton Ghost 10.0 automatically backs up and recovers everything on your computer. Reliable, efficient, and versatile, Norton Ghost optimizes backup space, works with a wide range of media devices, and brings back your entire system in a few short steps.
• Backs up everything on your computer - digital music, photos, financial documents, applications, settings, operating system, etc. - in one easy step.
• Recovers your system and data even when you can't restart your operating system.
• Makes incremental backups to maximize space and save time.
• Makes backups on the fly, without restarting your system.
• Backs up to almost any media, including CDR/RW and DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire ® (IEEE 1394) devices, and Iomega ® Zip ® and Jaz ® drives.
• Automatically creates an initial backup schedule based on your computer's configuration.
• Automatically detects storage devices, analyzes your system, and offers "practice" backup advice during installation.
• Automatically monitors and optimizes backup disk space.
• Triggers backups on key events, like new program installations or user logins.
• Creates new backups on demand with One Button "Backup Up Now".
• Encrypts backups to help keep them secure.
• Task-based interface simplifies management and monitoring.
• Displays all scheduled backups - plus the degree of backup protection for each drive on your computer - in one convenient view.
• One-step setup wizard makes installation and configuration quick and easy.
• Begins backing up to Maxtor external drives by simply pressing the Maxtor OneTouch ™ button.
• Windows ® XP Home Edition/Professional
• Windows 2000 Professional ONLY
• Includes Norton Ghost 2003 for Windows Me & 98 users
Symantec have continued to develop this excellent tool for back-up and data securing.
I was fortunate to use this program from version 1 and have watched the development of its multiple functions over the years with pleasing results.
The retail package comes with the 2003 version of Ghost, which means the older Win9x and NT4 platforms have a working version, so be aware if you have one of these operating systems. It does prove that PC software moves like a train and you don't leave the Caboose in the station.
I service computers and use this program extensively to copy disk to disk, copying my customers' data from corrupt windows platforms so replacement of precious and secure information is assured when the system is restored.
The best bit is you can set up basic computer systems from ghost archives written to CD or DVD.
If you have many applications to install, the ghost process can eliminate many hours of work and increase productivity and almost eliminate down time when a computer at your workplace falls over. Imagine restoring a PC in twenty minutes with complete application list and user identity, even security levels... makes sound fiscal sense to me.
In the professional arena I have used the Ghostcast server application and find it excellent.
When I produce three or more systems with the same specifications I create the system as a ghost archive and use it as a ghostcast file, usually from a central, server machine. Not an easy operation for the novice or general home user, but viable for numerous same spec'd machines and large networks.
Having used it to change partition sizes at ghost setup, I find it a very satisfying and functional utility to produce the desired results for my service work and it allows me to provide a stable and efficient service for my clients.
Having trouble with your backup tape, or what do I backup, is this important? These are questions that can cause costly headache if the wrong decicision is made.
With the large capacity drives and removable media available today the use of ghost is a most exciting prospect. You just copy everything and compress it into a single file, which if needed can be spanned over several CDs or DVDs or a large backup hard drive. I run a 60Gb system drive and 90Gb for data (original drive 160Gb now partitioned) With ghost I can create an archive of my system and store it on the data partition, alternatively I can put in blank DVDs and write the archive over several disks.
In the business world your IT department can provide scheduled backup routines which can be run at any convenient time when the staff are away from the PC, or at times when the office is closed.
Overall Symantec have got a very clever program in it's stable, and I hope they continue to provide progressive updates to this application.
Random listing from 'Software'...
Professional Presentation Software capable of stunning Multimedia Slideshows. Brandishing dynamic sound, 3D Animation and cinematic quality special effects, Liquid Media pushes the boundaries of traditional Presentation Software and will create more impact upon your ... more...
All trademarks, images and copyrights on this site are owned by their respective companies.
KIWIreviews is an independent entity, part of the ePLURIBUS.nz Network. This is a free public forum presenting user opinions on selected products, and as such the views expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinion of KIWIreviews.co.nz and are protected under New Zealand law by the "Honest Opinion" clause of the Defamation Act of 1992. KIWIreviews accepts no liability for statements made on this site, under the assumption that they are the true and honest opinions of the individual posters. In most cases, prices and dates stated are approximate and should be considered as only guidelines.
"Never invoke the gods unless you really want them to appear. It annoys them very much."