External back up storage for people on the move
• Ideal for Briefcase, Laptop Bag & Travel Luggage
• Perfect for installing external CD/DVD drives
• Backward compatible - suits USB 1.1 & 2.0
• No driver installation required when using: Windows ME, 2000, XP (USB 2.0), Mac OS 8.6-10.1x (USB 1.1 only, limited by OS), Mac OS 10.2x (USB 2.0)
• Portable 5.25" enclosure for easy back up or exchange of files
• Supports internal DVD burners / readers, CD burners / readers
• USB 2.0 transfer rate, up to 480Mbps 40 times faster than USB1.1
• Plug-and-play installation
• Durable & stylish aluminium case
• Backward compatible to suit USB 1.1 & 2.0
:: TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
• Interface: IDE to USB 2.0 (USB 2.0 cable included)
• Dimensions: 246mm (L) x 174mm (W) x 52mm (H)
• Compatibility: USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) & USB 1.1 (12 Mbps)
• PC/ MAC
:: MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
• Connection: 1 spare USB 2.0 or 1.1 port
• System: Pentium II 300MHz equivalent or higher, Mac G3 300MHz or higher
• Memory: 128 MB
• Operating System: Windows ME, 2000, XP (USB 2.0), Mac OS 8.6-10.1x (USB 1.1 only), Mac OS 10.2x (USB 2.0)
• Suitable IDE CD/DVD optical drive (not included)
Having helped install and setup some security cameras from Swann before, I am always happy to check over other types of items from their product line.
The first test I provided was a simple ROM drive in the enclosure and then to copy data from a CD to the computer system. Results in all areas may vary for other users considering operating systems and computer power, so user be aware.
Results from the data copy test was a simple and fast data transfer rate as with any other internal drive but with the added bonus that access to other drives onboard the system is understandably a little quicker. Multi tasking should be like this always.
Next was to perform a write test and I chose the LG dual layer DVD writer. My system already has a DVD writer so I used it's software to write with first. Again a simple test first, an audio CD write. I write audio discs as slow as I can (some of my players don't read at much faster) and on this model it is 8x. Ten tracks on a 80 min disc and it was great. My system was responsive and it felt OK to open and close other apps at the same time. I don't usually do anything while writing so this was a new thing. The time taken didn't seem a problem and I was happy with the results.
Next test was to produce a DVD disc and I choose to create a data disc and again used the other writer's software with no issues or hiccups, and at max speed (48x)... Excellent!! 4.4Gb of backup off my machine, yay.
When connected to any WinXp/2000 machine the system will find a mass storage device and in moments you are ready to go. I have a WinMe computer system. In the future I will connect it to systems with only usb 1.1 ports, it should be interesting.
Easy installation for experienced assembler, as it is a tight fit with my choice of drive. Novice users would have to proceed with instructions just because it is lightweight and plastic parts are easy to break.
It is a pretty smart looking device and a soft blue power indicator makes it a comfortably addition to your desktop.It's packaging box is easy to carry when travelling or in any mid sized travel bag or backpack. There is provision for audio jack for line in on amp in casing, but no socket provided or audio cable. Otherwise I am very pleased with this unit and external backup users would find a use for this device.
Random listing from 'Computer Hardware'...
The Targus Chill Mat protects your lap & workspace from notebook heat, while cooling fans help maximise notebook performance by supplying cool air to the notebook.
• Two cooling fans: Two fans help maximize notebook performance and help prevent overheating by
providing cool air to the notebook
• Protection against notebook ... more...
All trademarks, images and copyrights on this site are owned by their respective companies.
KIWIreviews is an independent entity, part of the ePLURIBUS.nz Network. This is a free public forum presenting user opinions on selected products, and as such the views expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinion of KIWIreviews.co.nz and are protected under New Zealand law by the "Honest Opinion" clause of the Defamation Act of 1992. KIWIreviews accepts no liability for statements made on this site, under the assumption that they are the true and honest opinions of the individual posters. In most cases, prices and dates stated are approximate and should be considered as only guidelines.
"Proof that God doesn't exist: If God created the earth for mankind, why is it that we can only live on a less than a quarter of it?"