Stop viruses, spyware, and online identity theft
• Offers advanced protection from online threats.
• Four different layers of smart protection proactively detect and eliminate threats before they reach your computer.
• Identifies and stops new threats fast.
Browse, shop, bank, and socialize online without worry
• Scans email and instant messages for viruses, suspicious links, infected attachments, and other dangers before you open them.
• Identifies safe websites, proactively blocks unsafe sites, and stops online threats before your browser even loads.*
• Prevents cybercriminals from hacking into your PC and swiping your information when you use wireless networks.
Enjoy your favorite online activities safely, without annoying slowdowns or disruptions
• Delivers superior performance with fast scan speeds.
• Runs in the background so it won't interrupt your work or play.
• Won't swallow up your computer's memory and hard disk space.
Protect your kids when they go online with award-winning Norton Online Family
• Parental controls management lets you easily access, set up and run Norton
• Online Family right from within your Norton Control Center.
• Tracks which websites your kids visit so you know what they're up to online, and lets you block inappropriate sites.
• Keeps an eye on your kids' social network activities and who they're chatting with online so you can spot potential dangers.
Get up and running fast with quick setup and easy-to-use features
• Installs in a flash, with a single mouse click.
• Proactively tells you if files and applications are safe or may slow down or crash your computer.
• Improved customizable Control Center now lets you choose between a simple or a detailed view for accessing program controls and Web-based Norton services.
It has been many years since I last played with a Symantec Antivirus/Firewall product, in fact I stopped using them as they were just so slow and resource hungry I couldn't handle it, so I was a bit apprehensive when asked if I wanted to review this product, but I was assured that all the troubles of the past had been fixed so off I went.
So I put the CD in started the install and went to make a cup of coffee as I remembered how long these installs used to take... as I was waiting for the water to boil I thought i'd check on the progress of the install, well I was shocked to see that it had already finished installing and it was only 2 or 3 minutes since I started the install. Well so far it was looking promising. Next was the setting up of a My Symantec account in order to activate the software, this was just as painless as the install was.
Next after a short period of waiting for the software to update itself I went about giving it a whirl, not having any viruses lying around (I mean come on why would you?) I downloaded a file called EICAR which is a simulated virus, this means it can cause your antivirus to trigger but it is actually totally harmless, if you want to test your antivirus head to www.eicar.org and download one or more of the test files.
Next I wanted to test the firewall, but I didn't really know how to test it, but after a quick google search I found the site www.auditmypc.com and after selecting the firewall test away it went, and then back came the result of no open ports which meant my PC was safe and secure.
The AntiSpam was easy to setup and once this was done the next lot of emails that came in all the spam was getting successfully stopped, hooray.
The other item I really wanted to test was the Parental Controls. These turned out to be very easy to setup, and they worked really well, the logs were nice and easy to read, and the site blocking feature was absolutely brilliant, I had been trying to find a good site blocking program, and this came as close as any i've seen.
Lastly my concerns about it being too slow or resource hungry have also been covered as I have not noticed any difference in speed or performance of my PC since I installed Internet Security 2012.
Random listing from 'Software'...
Strata Design 3D CX is our professional-level 3D modelling and animation software that delivers end-to-end power for the entire 3D design workflow.
Quickly bring your creative ideas to life with a simplified learning curve, plugins to the Adobe Create Suite and award-winning rendering quality rivalling any software at any price.
All trademarks, images and copyrights on this site are owned by their respective companies.
KIWIreviews is an independent entity, part of the ePLURIBUS.nz Network. This is a free public forum presenting user opinions on selected products, and as such the views expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinion of KIWIreviews.co.nz and are protected under New Zealand law by the "Honest Opinion" clause of the Defamation Act of 1992. KIWIreviews accepts no liability for statements made on this site, under the assumption that they are the true and honest opinions of the individual posters. In most cases, prices and dates stated are approximate and should be considered as only guidelines.
"How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?"