Gallifrey. Planet of the Time Lords. The Doctor has finally come home, but not by choice.
Summoned by a vision from The Matrix, he is drawn into a web of Political intrigue and assassination. Nothing is quite what it seems, and in the shadows lurks his oldest and deadliest enemy...
• Commentary by Tom Baker [The Doctor], Bernard Horsfall [Goth] and Philip Hinchcliffe [Producer].
• The Matrix Revisited Cast, crew and critics look back at the making of this story, featuring director David Maloney, designer Roger Murray-Leach and the founder of the National Viewers and Listeners Association, Mary Whitehouse.
• The Gallifreyan Candidate A look at RIchard Condon's novel The Manchurian Candidate, a major influence on the plot of The Deadly Assassin.
• The Frighten Factor What exactly is Doctor Who's 'Frighten Factor'? A diverse panel of experts try to answer the question.
• Radio Times Billings Listings for this story presented in a PDF file [DVD-ROM - PC/Mac].
• Photo Gallery.
• Production Information Subtitles.
• Easter Egg.
• Digitally remastered picture and sound quality.
This story is purely and simply Tom Baker at his finest. This is one of the few stories where the Doctor has no companions and so must work to unravel the answer to the mystery that the Doctor finds himself inexplicably involved in.
I found this to be rather an unusual and dark story but overall very likeable. As I mentioned above this is Tom Baker at his finest as the Doctor. As I have mentioned in pervious reviews of Doctor Who DVD's Tom Baker is my personal favourite Doctor of the original series run and this is now my favourite Doctor Who story from the Tom Baker years.
In addition to an extremely good story the added features on this DVD are as always a great bonus to have. From the The Matrix Revisited feature to the Frighten Factor to the Commentary these are great extras and only just add to the value of this DVD set.
Random listing from 'Entertainment'...
It's time to raise the curtain on THE MUPPET SHOW!
Join Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, the Swedish Chef and more, in the first season of this groundbreaking twist on the classic variety show.
Contains all 24 episodes, which have been completely restored and remastered. The special features also include something you were never meant to see: Jim Henson's original "pitch reel" that propelled the Muppets' blend of original ... more...
All trademarks, images and copyrights on this site are owned by their respective companies.
KIWIreviews is an independent entity, part of the ePLURIBUS.nz Network. This is a free public forum presenting user opinions on selected products, and as such the views expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinion of KIWIreviews.co.nz and are protected under New Zealand law by the "Honest Opinion" clause of the Defamation Act of 1992. KIWIreviews accepts no liability for statements made on this site, under the assumption that they are the true and honest opinions of the individual posters. In most cases, prices and dates stated are approximate and should be considered as only guidelines.
"Focus 90% of your time on solutions and only 10% of your time on problems."
Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book