Dynamo torches charge all cell phone batteries either with the included fittings or universal lithium ion battery charger. (Mobile phones, some digital cameras, mp3). Dynamo torches are ideal anytime you are without power.
Alternative Energy power source. Dynamo powered torches - Unlimited power, light and phone when you need it. Self powered Dynamo Torches include a hand wound generator which charges the built in Li-Ion battery which can charge your phone, ipod, and even your Li-Ion camera batteries.
Environmentally Friendly. No need to change batteries ever, the built in Lithium Ion battery is a long life version with over 1500 charge/discharge cycles. Lifetime guarantee - Free replacement provided if you do use up your battery (This would need over 5 years of continuous daily use!!)
Multiple Lights. Can be used as a spotlight, lantern or emergency light with the flashing red emergency light. The five long life high-brightness LED's give a good quality bright light.
Compass. Convenient and essential for those tramping and boating situations where you need to orient yourself.
Convenience. Dynamo Torches are lightweight and can be easily carried with the included Double lined carry case.
Practical Essential for household emergency kits. Great for cars, boats, or when you are camping.
Having experienced that awful gut-gripping fear when driving through the Desert Road at night and running out of gas, and realising that there aren't many safe places to be, when you haven't got light... this torch strikes me as a brilliant device. Yes, there are other battery-free torches on the market, heck, you can even get them as a free promotional add-on with your toilet freshener! (I kid you not.) Don't get me wrong, they do a great job too... but at the end of the day, they are torches and only torches. As good as they are at beaming light, that's all they do, nothing more.
This handy device not only puts out a beam of white light, but also doubles as a red warning light. On top of that, you get the peace of mind knowing that you'll never have to worry about batteries going flat... either in the torch, or your cellphone! Yup, using the set of USB devices that came with it, I even managed to charge up my Palm Treo with it! Sure, I had to pull out the battery and use the little spring-clip attachment, since there wasn't a matching plug... but that's not too big a hardship... just meant I had to lose the use of my phone while I charged it up. I have seen similar kits that are aimed at the laptop market that do similar things, and never seen a Treo plug in them either, so wasn't surprised.
A couple of points I *didn't* like about this unit...
• Not very comfortable to hold while winding - the body is quite thick and hard to get smaller hands around.
• Battery cut-out switch - being a click-on-click-off type, it's impossible to tell at a glance. A rocker switch or slide switch would have been a better move IMHO.
• The rubber USB cover - Would not stay seated properly, and kept curling up and out of the plugs.
• The expanding lens - When pulling it out of the carry-bag, it kept pulling open. Annoying and possibly dangerous to the continued functionality of the lens. I was worried it would pull right off!
Not very *big* points, but important ones, I thought. On the plus side though...
• The carry bag - comes complete with belt loop and carabina for clip-on attachment. Most excellent.
• Zip pouch - used to store the USB attachments, but could equally be used to hold a small tool set for those not needing the USB side of things.
• Extended shoulder strap - A great addition, and well worth keeping attached, or at least handy for those hands-free-required times.
Overall, a very impressive little unit. The battery capasity wasn't huge, it gave my Treo about a 1/3rd charge before I had to wind it back to strength, but that would have been more than enough to make an emergency call. The whole package is small enough to fit in a medium to large glovebox, or sit in the boot of the car, or drawer in a boat. If planning to take this out on the water though, I would suggest the purchase of something waterproof, such as a larger Otterbox container or the like. This baby can't swim.
Random listing from 'Safety and Security'...
• See your home in a whole new perspective with 180-degree wide angle view
• Full HD 1080p resolution for sharp images
• Record video clips with sound to microSD card to play back later (Supports microSDXC cards up to 128gb - card not ... more...
All trademarks, images and copyrights on this site are owned by their respective companies.
KIWIreviews is an independent entity, part of the ePLURIBUS.nz Network. This is a free public forum presenting user opinions on selected products, and as such the views expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinion of KIWIreviews.co.nz and are protected under New Zealand law by the "Honest Opinion" clause of the Defamation Act of 1992. KIWIreviews accepts no liability for statements made on this site, under the assumption that they are the true and honest opinions of the individual posters. In most cases, prices and dates stated are approximate and should be considered as only guidelines.
"I have a Heisenberg Quantum Car. Every time I look at the speedometer I get lost."