Sick of adverts? Click here to join up for free and be rid of them.
ADMIN NOTE: DUE TO THE CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKES, THIS VENUE IS NOT CURRENTLY IN OPERATION
Hotel SO is an innovative new Christchurch hotel. Our philosophy is simple: we believe that great design, technology and service should be available at a great price. Each room is full of smart features including free wireless broadband, flat screen entertainment system, and controllable mood lighting. Hotel SO redefines affordable Christchurch accommodation, be one of the first to experience it
Hotel SO offers centrally located Christchurch accommodation.
We are a few minutes walk to the square, SOL square, the botanic gardens, the Christchurch Art Gallery and many of Christchurch's unique and interesting attractions.
It is approximately 15 minutes by car from Christchurch international and domestic airport terminals.
At Hotel SO we offer many of the features you expect from a much higher-priced hotel, including:
• State of the art Virtual Concierge
• Comfortable lounge chairs and coffee tables
• Kitchenette with fridge, microwave and preparation space
• 50 inch flat screen TV with access to 50+ SKY channels
• Balcony - our only smoking space
• Massage chair to help you rest and rejuvenate after a long day
• Video postcard booth which allows you to send 30 second video clips via email around the world.
• Vending machines that sell light meals, drinks, confectionery, razors, and sanitary products, along with other items.
• Fitness Gym and Sauna.
• Free wireless broadband access and in-room VoIP service
'What Bar', our cafe/bar, offers delicious food and drinks 24 hours a day.
Please ask at reception about 'SO Loyal', our loyalty program.
We are only a few minutes walk to city mall, Cathedral Square, and SOL entertainment precinct.
Hotel SO is the perfect venue for your next Christchurch conference or convention.
Undercover secured parking space is available in the Wilson's Cashel Street Carpark, adjacent to the hotel. 24 hours parking tickets are available at hotel reception.
NZ call toll free: 0508 165 165
International call: +64 3 968 5050
Fax: +64 3 968 5051
Location: 165 Cashel St, Christchurch
I stayed in this hotel with my partner and two friends a year ago and was so impressed. For such a cheap rate this hotel had so much to offer. We barely left the building for all the entertainment offered inside.
We had free wifi internet or the option of using one of 6 new mac computers in the lobby. There is 2 saunas, a gym and our room had a spa. The whole feel of the place is AMAZING. Each floor has a different colour theme, which comes with its own scent. We stayed on the pink floor which smelled very floral but the who design is incredible, Down to the neon lighting in the bathroom and unique wake up systems.
We spent many nights down in the bar/restaurant where the staff were incredibly friendly , even giving us complimentary fries and coke for our sober driver.
I would stay at the hotel again at the drop of the hat. It was the BEST hospitality experience i have ever had.
I'm in town for business overnight and need somewhere to stay. So, I hear about this great hotel, and I decided to go check it out. I call the free-phone number and, within seconds, get connected to the cheeriest reservation agent I've spoken to in a very long time. She takes the regular details and then asks me what kind of room I'm after.
"Well, I don't know, what would you recommend?"
"There's our double room, which is good for people in town overnight, a nice, tidy, small room, and from there we range up to our Queen and King sized rooms."
"OK, well, what's the difference between the three?"
"Just the size, However, at the moment, we have a special rate going, where you can have the King room, normally $135, at the same rate as the Queen, $120."
"Why not go all out," I ask myself, already considering the Queen, "and have the King?"
So the booking's all done and sealed, I've been given my booking number, and I didn't even have to ask for a confirmation email to be sent through, it was in my Inbox in seconds. I inquired about airport transfers - unfortunately the Hotel doesn't arrange, or supply airport transfer service. However, not to worry, there's normally plenty in the way of Shuttles and Taxis ready and waiting at the airport for you.
Sweet, all ready to go, now all we need is me to "Fly In", and start my review!
So, I walked in and was immediately blown away. This place looked space age! "Swish", and "Chic" were two other words that passed through my mind. "I like this place" was something else I thought, and in this world, where first impressions definitely count, this place was off to a rocking start.
I was checked in by the Duty Manager, a friendly gent, who, it seemed, made it his deliberate and sole interest to make my stay the best it could possibly be. He explained everything, from the order of the switches on the wall, to what we can find in the (very cute) complimentary box of shampoos, a map, teas, coffee, sugar, cups, the cute kind of complimentary biscuit that you get when flying, along with a voucher for an espresso down in the What Bar, for only $2.50.
So my Partner and I jumped in the elevator to our Level, and I spotted the lights on the back wall of the elevator that light up, and very cleverly so, with the "Light Boxes" on the outside of the building. I walked into the room, and was greeted by the very pleasant blue glow coming from under the bed, which, according to the "Manual" for the room, is in place to ease me into sleep. I did have a small problem getting the other lights working in the room, until I twigged onto that you have to put your KeyCard into the slot on the wall by the light switches by the door, to get them to work. Which I haven't been told officially, but, as Jo Public, I assumed that served two purposes:
• To Save you from losing your KeyCard.
• To help the hotel achieve it's Eco-Friendliness, by turning out the lights in the room (Except the blue one below the bed) when you remove the KeyCard from the wall to leave.
The "Mood Lighting" in the bathroom was cute, and the purpose of each of the colours was clearly outlined in the "Room Manual", which explains every detail of the room.
Now, I'd have you here all day if I went into detail about all of the features, and I also think that would take away from the nifty surprises you will come across in your stay. Whether it's the fact that the Gym really is available at all hours, or that there's nothing like a free Sauna at 3am, to help you get ready for sleep, after a night in What Bar, or any other of the Christchurch Restaurants/Bars; However I will bring up a few things that should be mentioned:
• Earliest Check-In is 2pm, with Check Out, being 10am at latest. A little early for my usual preference. But not too early.
• Baggage storage is available, but is in an unlocked room. Not ideal for anyone with valuables that can't be carried on their person.
• The Staff are so very friendly. At all hours. How someone can be so chipper at 7am, as every staff member that I dealt with was, I have no idea.
• The building is hard to miss. With big, bright, colourful boxes on the walls, that make it both a piece of art, and a landmark.
• The Size of the rooms is perfect for someone traveling on business, or a traveler who came all the way to Christchurch, without bringing the fridge, the kitchen sink, the pets, and the lounge suite.
• The height of the beds is both a pro and a con. Pro: Plenty of storage space. Con: For the shorter guests, getting onto the bed may be a bit difficult.
• Washing, drying, and ironing facilities are available, there's also an iron, and ironing board in your room, for getting those last minute wrinkles out of the shirt before going to a business meeting.
• Everything can be charged to your room. So instead of paying for every drink as you get it, and getting all those nasty bank-transaction fees, you pay one bill at the end of your stay.
• The location is fantastic. You're in the middle of everything. And getting here is no problem. Whether you Taxi, Shuttle, or even take the bus, it stops five minutes walk away, at the Central Bus Xchange.
• Free Wireless throughout the hotel (Or wired internet, available in your room, at a cost), again add to the great features.
• Power points everywhere, to charge those ever-increasing electricals that everyone in the business world seems to have.
• A guest lounge with everything from a fridge, to cooking facilities, to TVs, free internet, massage chairs, and even a balcony for the smokers among us.
This Hotel has eliminated most of the over-the-top features that other Hotels charging three times the price for a night offer, such as Room Service. You can call down to What Bar and order your food, they'll give you a call when your food is ready, and you can go down and pick it up, already packaged to take up to your room, minus the hefty fee other places will charge for dropping off to your room. Again, to eliminate cost, no porters, you have to carry your bags to your room, and, really, who brings that much stuff to a hotel, that you need someone to carry your bags?
SO: Take it or leave it, this place is perfect for anybody needing a room, at a very reasonable price, starting at just $69 for a single room, going up to just $169 for a Family room that sleeps up to Six! (One queen bed in one room, and four bunks in the next, with an interconnecting door)
With everything from the comfy bed to the unique wake up, and sleep systems, (and no, I'm not going to ruin the surprise of that one), to the Space-utilizing design of the rooms, that bring everything to you, there is not one person that I would not recommend this room to.
Random listing from 'Accommodation'...
Mangawhai Heads Holiday Park is a great base to start your holiday while having an adventure and enjoying the beauty this region has to offer.
You will find the perfect place to park your camper van, caravan, stay in one of our 2 bedroom own bathroom cabins or pitch your tent on one of our absolute waterfront sites with the gorgeous white sandy beach at your doorstep.
Located only 90 mins north of Auckland or 60 mins south ... more...
All trademarks, images and copyrights on this site are owned by their respective companies.
This is a free public forum presenting user opinions on selected products, and as such the views expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinion of KIWIreviews.co.nz and are protected under New Zealand law by the "Honest Opinion" clause of the Defamation Act of 1992. KIWIreviews accepts no liability for statements made on this site, under the assumption that they are the true and honest opinions of the individual posters. In most cases, prices and dates stated are approximate and should be considered as only guidelines.
"Why do banks charge a fee on 'insufficient funds' when they know there is not enough?"